We all love our annual holiday, which is a time for rest and relaxation, to recharge our batteries in order that we have the energy to get through our hectic schedule. Taking a holiday with a young family, however, presents its own unique set of challenges, and if you’re not careful, the experience can be very stressful, and with that in mind, here are a few tips to help make the holiday a great experience for everyone.
- Be Prepared – Taking young children on a foreign holiday demands precision planning, and that includes making sure you have enough of everything including your baby carrier so you can explore around. Baby wipes, diapers, medication and lots of clean clothing should be included in your packing, and carry a small spare bag that has a few of everything inside, just in case. Young children are always having minor accidents, so include a basic first-aid kit, which would have the necessary items to clean a small graze.
- Choose an All-Inclusive Family Resort – Some holiday resorts are designed with young families in mind. Just like the family resort in Patong, a premier beach area in Phuket where you and your family can relax in style. It is always a good idea to book well in advance when taking a family holiday and with online solutions, there are some amazing deals to be found.
- Wet Weather Activities – We can never totally rely on the weather, so make sure that you have a few activities for rainy days. Bring a few DVD sets that the kids have not yet seen, and you can watch them in your suite when it rains, plus you can source a few board games, which is always a great way to pass the time.
- Babysitting Services – Most family-oriented resorts would have a baby-sitting service and this can allow you both to take much-needed break in the evenings. Once the kids are asleep, you can both enjoy a candlelight dinner by the pool, knowing your kids are safe and sound nearby, and with your cell phone number, the baby sitter can quickly call if there are any issues.
- Giving Each Other a Break – You could, for example, take it in turns to monitor the kids at breakfast time, allowing the other person to have some me time, which might only be half an hour, but that is enough to give you a new lease of life when things get too much. If you notice that your partner is under the weather, take the kids down to the pool and give him or her some quiet time, which is always warmly appreciated.
- Planning – What to pack is an essential component to holiday preparation, so do make sure you have more than ample supplies of essentials. Going on holiday doesn’t have to mean a complete breakdown in discipline and this should be made clear, and when young children are given the right stimulation, they are less likely to misbehave.
Choosing a family resort is half the battle and with online solutions, you can view many fine family resorts before making your booking.